Thursday, September 10, 2009

New school year 2009

So we were anxiously awaiting Drew and Livvy's teacher roster and Drew landed in a spot where we felt was appropriate -- i.e., not with a kid who he likes and calls his friend but got into goofy trouble with in K. His teacher is very nice, bubbly, and tough-love which he desperately needs. She took to him right away and constantly complimented him on his behavior and how he is her "model student". That confidence booster was all he needed and felt great in his new role as a maturing first grader!

Then the second week comes along and he gets switched to another teacher...in a K/1 combo class. His K teacher picked him to come back with her as a first grader with the stipulation that as a 1st grader he has to have the behavior in check and be independent enough to complete his seat work on task. She couldn't wait to have him back and it's been SUPER so far. 15 first graders and 5 Kindergarten kiddos. We're so very proud of him!

Along with that change comes Livvy. She initially had Drew's K teacher from last year who we requested she have. But since she's now teaching the combo class, Livvy wasn't quite ready for that challenge so she's moved to another class. This one shares two teachers: one is there M, T, W and the other Th, F. We felt it would be a good change for her with the exception that sharing 2 teachers on different days may throw her transitioning skills off a bit. I was a little disappointed because I felt her original teacher was really good with her and supported her in the most efficient way. And just as she was getting into the routine and making friends...but change is good. :) Now she cries at night saying she doesn't want to go to bed and doesn't want to go to school anymore. I know it's stressful for her, she's a very picky eater and needs to eat more now that she's at school so long, and needs enough sleep in order to function --- like we all do. Hopefully next week will be better for her as she continues to adjust and grow emotionally.

Alex, Mr. Magnet I call him now...he LOVES his mom! Needs to work on getting the dang underwear/pants on. He refuses to stand to pee and has to strip the bottom half of his clothes off in order to go. But he can't quite get them back on unassisted. I'm waiting for him to do this so he can go to preschool. He desperately wants to go to school and I tell him he needs to show me he can do it alone for 5 days straight and then I'll sign him up...he gets frustrated with it easily. So yesterday I told him to keep trying while he's crying. He gets them on, grabs his shoes, and asks, "Can I go to preschool now?" As in RIGHT NOW. Awww...poor baby doesn't get it. One day...one day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi There - Mr Magnet - I like that. :) Glad to hear the kiddos are adjusting. Sorry that Livvy is having a tough time. That's heart breaking but character building all at the same time. If she's made of the same tough stuff as her Momma, she'll weather it just fine and come out better for it! Love to you all :)

    ReplyDelete